Hezekiah C. Clock
Hezekiah C. Clock, was
born in Painesville, Ohio, July 24, 1839, and is a son of Ebenezer and Lucinda (Jarvis) Clock, natives of
Long Island. The father died in Ohio in 1847, and the mother passed away in Illinois.
When Hezekiah C. Clock was nine years of age he was bound out as an apprentice and continued in
service until 1853, when he moved to Illinois. Four years later he came to Franklin county, but shortly afterward returned to Illinois where he spent six months. About 1859 he came again to Franklin county and engaged in teaching school here for one winter. He enlisted in Company C, Sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, being mustered into service June 24, 1861. He served for three years and then reenlisted at Scottsboro, Alabama, January 1, 1864. He went with his regiment to Jonesboro and from there was sent to a hospital at Lookout Mountain. He was discharged as captain of his company in February, 1865, and returned to Iowa, where he had since resided.
Mr. Clock formed a partnership with his brother Edward L. in 1865 and together they operated a mercantile establishment in Maysville until 1870, when he purchased his brother's interest and removed to Geneva. There he erected a store and conducted it until the building was destroyed by fire in 1896. This he replaced by a fine steel and frame structure in 1897, having his two sons in partnership with him.
In May, 1865, Mr. Clock was united in marriage to Miss Emily J. Roberts, a native of Pennsylvania, who died in November, 1899. By that union he had the following children: Claude J.,
Bloomington, Illinois; Doris Le Verne, a resident of Geneva, Iowa; Laura, deceased; Earle R., of
Grinnell; Ernest E., of Hampton; Sherwood A.; Oakley J., also a resident of Geneva; and Mabel, who died in infancy. Mr. Clock has also an adopted daughter,
Irene. In 1904 he was again married, his second wife being Miss Amanda B. Harris, a native of
Mr. Clock was a member of the Grand Army post at Geneva and belonged to the Masonic chapter at Hampton. He gave his political allegiance to the republican party and served with credit and ability as postmaster of Geneva for over fifteen years, being the first postmaster there. He
had lived in Franklin county for almost fifty years and during that period has become known as a man of energy, honesty and enterprise, who has made his individual success a factor in the promotion of general progress.